Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Batch 73

The recipe for Batch 73 was:
3/4 cup sunflower seeds (4 oz)
3/4 cup walnuts (3 oz)
1 cup rolled oats (4 oz)
½ cup raisins (3.5 oz)
¾ cup whole wheat flour (3.75 oz)
½ cup turbinado sugar (3.75 oz)
2 tbsp dry milk powder
1/8 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
1 ½ egg (I know that's odd, but when you're experimenting with proportions, you have to do some odd things.)
½ cup milk
2 tbsp molasses
2 tbsp honey
½ cup sunflower oil
½ tsp vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place sunflower seeds, walnuts, and oats on a cookie sheet and taost for 8-10 minutes at 350 degrees, stirring once, until fragrant and just starting to change color.

Mix those dry ingredients together with raisins and chop in a food processor but don't totally pulverize. Mix in flour, sugar, milk powder, cinnamon, and salt.

In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients well, trying not to introduce too much air. Stir wet and dry mixtures together.

Let dough rest four about half an hour. Bake on buttered cookie sheet for 10 minutes, or just until edges start to brown.


I won't say yet what I thought of this batch. If you sampled cookies from Batch 73, I'm interested in what you thought. Please leave your comments below. Thank you!

3 comments:

  1. Good cookie! Thanks!

    It was too small to be a guerilla cookie, tasted a little too nutty, and wasn't quite chewy enough.

    Make it bigger! I want more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too nutty in flavor. More sandy, drier and less chewy than I remember the orignal to be. More "health foody" than I remember. Also, the color that I remember was a more golden brown with more of a sheen-almost like what you would get from applying an egg wash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree about the too-nutty taste. I can't decide whether fewer walnuts would fix it, or if I should substitute some other nut entirely. I like what the walnuts do to the texture and visual appearance of the cookie, but the taste can get too noticeable.

    With almonds, both taste and texture seemed wrong in the batches I tried before I recruited any taste-testers. Maybe I'll try a batch with almonds again now to see what you guys think. I haven't yet tried pecans.

    ReplyDelete